CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Pages

"Gratitude feels best, not when it gets breathed in, but when it is blown into the sails of others, that the vehicle of their journey has more power"
--- Friend

"Love and truth are the two primary manifestations of divinity in which we can partake, and by partaking in them we become truer manifestations of the divine."

--- Robert Wright


Thursday, May 31, 2012

Running (not really), hiking and biking

My days have been so crazily fragmented that I don't have a larger piece of time to write. In that respect Facebook is much easier to handle; I can post, comment, 'like' on the run. I guess I could skip a hike, bike ride, or a run to write more... nah, as much as I love you all, I won't do that even for all of you guys.


So short: my running sucks. Mr Achilles Tendon has decided to wage another battle with me. I give it rest, it hurts more, I run, it makes me suffer especially the next day. I have no idea what his problem is. I am nice to him, I talk to him respectfully, I pamper him, he is still not happy. 
That makes my runs rather miserable and puts my Pikes Peak Marathon training in jeopardy. 


Golden Gate Bridged 75years and 1 day old
Fortunately I can hike and even with a heavy load there is very little discomfort so my training for John Muir Trail is proceeding fairly well. Again, time is a problem. I can't do really long treks so I opted for shorter ones with a heavier than last year backpack. Right now I am hauling 60lb. My pack on the trail will be probably 36-38lb  so if I keep up with my training, it won't feel heavy at all.

I rarely manage to hike anywhere north of San Francisco. I do not like the traffic near the city; I would rather be on trails than stuck on the highway, but last weekend I got up early and went on a trail  on Mt. Tamalpais that a hiking buddy of mine highly recommended. I was not disappointed (even thought the traffic on the way back sucked. 



I love, love mornings like that. If not for the fact that I wanted to hit the trail early, I would have just stayed on the side of the road and watched the fog roll in and out of the valleys.


Where I live, the spring is over. Hills have turned golden and there is very little green left. This part of the trail, since it is so close to the coast, made me feel as if I were in a tropical rain forest.


The only problem was that none of the escalators were working. That did not make my tendon feel happy one little bit. 



But who cares about sore (loser) tendon if one has views like this one. 


And then, above the 'rain forest' grassy hills and a lovely, smooth trail.



I wish I could tell you that I ran this trail fast and strong but it was a very pathetic run and yet I did not mind that at all. It was so beautiful there that it really did not matter that I was struggling. As long as I can be in places like that, I am happy.




And then there is biking. These days, I don't bike very long, 30-40mi at the most and it will have to stay that way till the end of the school year. I discovered a marvelous trail by the ocean. I've been seeing that trail from the car for years and kept telling myself that one of these days I would have to make it there. Well, I finally did and loved it. We did only a short ride but I know I will be back and do the entire trail really soon (I hope). 


I will leave these without a commentary.





As for other workouts, I am managing to do weight lifting and rowing. In case you did not know, I hate rowing but I made a deal with myself: no movie watching unless I row and I like movies. :)

16 comments:

Kovas Palubinskas said...

What a gorgeous trail! A run there is worth some pain.

Mary said...

30-40 miles is a lot. I bet your Achilles will heal during the JMT and you can run.

Karen@WaistingTime said...

I've totally been neglecting facebook. And Twitter. AND my blog!

Johann said...

Beautiful places to run, hike or bike! And one day I will experience it all first hand. Take care of that Achilles!

Karen said...

I wish my hiking trails had escalators! Do you think the Achilles problem might be caused by hiking hills with a too heavy pack? I hope it feels better soon :)

Linda W. said...

Nice photos! Yeah, I know what you mean about trying to get motivated to work out - it's difficult sometimes. But you choose some beautiful places to go.

Jody - Fit at 54 said...

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!! Amazing pics & yes, being outside & enjoying is more important than all this social media!

You say you are not doing too much but what you do is WAY TOO MUCH to me! ;-)

On your achilles, I have read from Hoka shoe lovers that this shoe helped their achilles & their running! :-)

I wish I was good at social media out & about but I am not!

ajh said...

You get to so many gorgeous places!

Heal, heal heal! How frustrating.

And the bridge picture - great. Everyone got the anniversary picture. You got it plus one day! Unique.

Giorgio said...

Wonderful environs! The third photo shows a nice place to run, gorgeous places ... I'm so envious :)
I Hope Achilles problem feels better soon :) Take care!

Char said...

I understand why hikes like that make you happy. Being in beautiful places feeds our soul. Hope your achilles heals soon.

Amy said...

Gorgeous pictures! Although I am sorry to hear about your tendon...funny how some types of exercise can aggravate certain things while others are fine. Thank goodness we have choice of what exercise to do with our creaky bodies!

Noel DLP said...

Gosh Ewa, it's beautiful out there! It's nice to see the similarities and contrasts between your pics and runwithjill's :) Sorry to hear about your sore tendons.

Dr. J said...

I don't know much about the tendinitis you are having, and I'd like it to stay that way, if you know what I mean :-)

I have dealt with tendinitis in my elbow, and this is what I learned.

I have a tendency to push way too hard! The only way I got better was to stop stressing the area. I needed two months off to heal. So my know nothing suggestion is for you to either rest the area, or if you are unwilling to do that, only work out on flat ground. No hills or stairs, etc. Flat, boring ground.

Sorry.

Glenn Jones said...

John Muir trail this summer? Sigh....

Joy said...

Sorry about your Achilles problem. That is so frustrating! Still working on my knee. I am scheduled for another 1/2 marathon tomorrow!! The knee is feeling pretty good, now I have other aches and pains. I think this is pre-race jitters! Can't wait to see how I do with this one!

Keep up the great work and stay focused!

Black Knight said...

I am sorry for your Achilles problems, I hope you find soon the right solution.
Great scenery, the landscapes are priceless.
Glad that you never give up: rowing, biking or hiking keep you busy and .... in shape!